Lucian Grainge Biography
Lucian Grainge is the chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group, the world’s largest music company, with a market share of over 30%.
Grainge first became the chairman of the UK division of the Universal Music Group. Later in 2005, he became the chairman of Universal Music Group International. He served in this position until 2010.
On January 1, 2011, Grainge became CEO of Universal Music Group and then chairman on 9 March 2011, succeeding Doug Morris.
Lucian Grainge Age
Grainge was born on February 29, 1960, in London, England. He is 63 years old as of 2023.
Lucian Grainge Religion
Grainge was raised Jewish.
Lucian Grainge Wife
Grainge has married been married twice. He was first married to Samantha Berg, the mother of his son, Elliot. Samantha experienced complications while giving birth to their son and fell into a coma from which she never recovered. She died in 2007.
Grainge married his second wife, Caroline, in 2002. They have two children together. Their firstborn daughter, Alice, was born in 2001. Their other daughter is named Betsy.
Lucian Grainge Son
Grainge has three children. His eldest and only son Elliot Grainge is from his first marriage to Samantha Berg. He was born in 1993. Just like his father, Elliot is also a music executive. he is the founder of 10K Projects, an independent record label that has signed artists such as Trippie Redd, Iann Dior, and Tekashi 6ix9ine.
Lucian Grainge House
Grainge and his wife reportedly paid US$13 million in November 2012 for a house in Pacific Palisades. The couple has also previously leased a Brentwood home from the owner of Rhino Entertainment.
Lucian Grainge Universal Music Group
During his first year as the chairman and CEO of Universal, the company purchased EMI’s Recorded Music operations. Grainge asserted that Universal’s acquisition was necessary to enhance EMI and benefit the entire music industry.
Following the acquisition, UMG endeavored to rejuvenate former EMI labels, such as Capitol Records and Virgin Records.
As chairman and CEO of Universal, Grainge has sought to increase the group’s international digital expansion via distribution partnerships with technology companies, such as; Apple, Spotify, Facebook, Tencent, and YouTube.
By 2017, Universal Music Group was worth $22 billion. This is triple what it was worth when Grainge took over at the company.
Lucian Grainge Drake
Drake is one of the most successful artists that Grainge has worked with during his career. Drake signed with Universal Music Group’s subsidiary Cash Money Records in 2009. He has since released nine studio albums, all of which have topped the Billboard 200 chart.
Drake is also the most-streamed artist of all time on Spotify and Apple Music, with over 50 billion streams across his catalog. Grainge has praised Drake for his artistic vision and innovation and has called him a “global superstar”.
Lucian Grainge Jay Z
Jay Z is another prominent artist that Grainge has collaborated with over the years. Jay Z works with Universal Music Group under his entertainment agency, Roc Nation Label which he founded in 2008. has released four albums under Roc Nation, including; The Blueprint 3 (2009), Magna Carta Holy Grail (2013), 4:44 (2017), and Everything Is Love (2018) with Beyoncé.
Lucian Grainge Salary
According to MarketWatch.com, Universal Music Group extended Lucian’s CEO contract until May 2021. He will receive an annual salary of $5 million, which the company said has been cut by two-thirds. He will also be eligible for an annual bonus of an estimated $10 million.
Lucian Grainge Net Worth
Grainge has an estimated net worth of $150 million as of 2023, according to Celebrity Net Worth.
Lucian Grainge Hounours and Awards
Below are some awards and honors Lucian has received in the course of his career.
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
- Billboard Power 100 – Grainge has been included in Billboard’s annual list of the most powerful people in the music industry numerous times, including; in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
- Variety’s New Leaders – he was named one of Variety’s New Leaders in 2013, recognizing his impact on the music industry.
- Music Industry Trusts Award – In 2016, he was honored with the Music Industry Trusts Award for his contributions to the industry.
- Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year – Grainge received this award in 2016, recognizing his innovative leadership in the music industry.
- 2019 Grammy Salute to Industry Icons Award – he was presented with this award at the pre-Grammy gala in recognition of his significant contributions to the music industry.
- Hollywood Walk of Fame Star – In 2020, Grainge received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in recognition of his impact on the music industry.